Let’s talk about the importance of building relationships with students. The research is clear: humans are literally “hard-wired” with the desire and need to connect. We are social beings who thrive on healthy relationships. Therefore, the importance of positive relationships in our classrooms should never be overlooked.

Building great relationships with our students can have an impact on their levels of involvement, academic performance, and disciplinary difficulties. Over the course of a year, Marzano, Marzano, and Pickering (2003) found that teachers who had developed high-quality relationships with students had 31% fewer discipline and other related difficulties than those who had not. And, as you know… when classroom discipline difficulties are reduced, learning improves!

So, how can we establish these bonds? Here are a few ideas from Nancy Barile, award winning teacher, and author of The Hey Teach Article, 6 Easy Ways to Build Relationship with Your Students:  

1.  Spend 1-On-1 Time with a Student. …
  • Look for Something to Comment On. … 
  • Develop an Interest in Their Interests. …
  • Share Your Stories. … 
  • Have a Sense of Humor. …
  • Attend Student Events.

If you are not already a fan of 40 plus year teaching veteran, Rita Pierson, you will definitely be one after watching her TedTalk video from May of 2013.  It’s a MUST SEE!  Rita is an advocate for children beyond all other attributes of an educator.  My favorite Rita Pierson line came from her interaction with a fellow colleague who she overheard saying They don’t pay me to like the kids.”… Rita quickly responded with:   “Kids don’t learn from people they don’t like.'” This was her mantra….her calling….and her charge to other educators to “believe in their students and actually connect with them on a real, human, personal level”.  

As I prepare for a future career in education, I am committed to making the relationships with my students and families a priority.  I want each and everyone of my students to know they have me in their corner to cheer them along the journey to success.  I have already decided that somewhere in my classroom, this quote will hang:  “No Significant Learning Occurs Without A Significant Relationship!  –Dr. James Comer